Monday, July 11, 2011

Is the saying "Too Heavenly Minded to be any Earthly Good" Biblical?

C. S. Lewis once said:  "Aim at Heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither"  (This is a Re-post from September 2010, which encouraged and challenged me afresh this morning)  
Isn't it amazing how God often uses others in your life to confirm, expound, and build upon things He's been showing you through Scripture? I was having a phone conversation with Randy, my brother in Christ this morning, as we often do on my way to work, (iron sharpens iron) and he asked me to give him a "good Word". I told him I read in Colossians last night where we are to set our minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.
Colossians 3:1-2 (ESV) If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.
I told Randy I think the old saying about someone being "too heavenly minded to be any earthly good" is not a Biblical idea, and certainly doesn't line up with this text. I told him things on earth will line up in their proper place if we are focusing on Christ, and things above, keeping an "Eternal Perspective".  
(of course I'm not talking about the extreme cases of date setters, people quitting their jobs, selling everything they have, and climbing trees or mountains waiting on the "Rapture", thinking they know the day and the hour, which even the Son of Man Himself did not know while on earth)
"Aim at Heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither" C.S. Lewis
Randy responded with a quote from Piper about when Christ is the burning blazing center of our universe, everything else will line up in its proper orbit. I liked that, and searched for the exact quote, because I knew I would soon forget it if I didn't. I found it, copied and pasted it below, and it blessed me in a mighty way! It also convicted me in a mighty way, which I needed! Thanks, Randy!
Here's the excerpt from the transcript by John Piper, Pastor for Preaching at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, Minnesota. (photo added from wiki commons)
I have a picture in my mind of the majesty of Christ like the sun at the center of the solar system of your life. The massive sun, 333,000 times the mass of the earth, holds all the planets in orbit, even little Pluto, 3.6 billion miles away. So it is with the supremacy of Christ in your life. All the planets of your life—your sexuality and desires, your commitments and beliefs, your aspirations and dreams, your attitudes and convictions, your habits and disciplines, your solitude and relationships, your labor and leisure, your thinking and feeling--all the planets of your life are held in orbit by the greatness and gravity and blazing brightness of the supremacy of Jesus Christ at the center of your life. And if He ceases to be the bright, blazing, satisfying beauty at the center of your life, the planets will fly into confusion, and a hundred things will be out of control, and sooner or later they will crash into destruction.
2004 Desiring God National Conference, Sex and the Supremacy of Christ
http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/ConferenceMessages/ByDate/2004/184_Sex_and_the_Supremacy_of_Christ_Part_2/
After pondering some of my actions, attitudes, behaviors, etc., I've been strongly convicted from this passage in Colossians, as well as this sermon by Piper, that I'm to blame when things "fly into confusion", and "out of control", because I am not at that moment giving Christ His proper place in my life.
Father, help me to keep you "High and Lifted Up" in my life, and to submit to the Lordship and Leadership of Jesus Christ in all things daily, by the Power of Your Holy Spirit! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment