Friday, May 28, 2010

David Hume goes to hear George Whitefield


Do you really believe God's Word-The Bible with all your heart, soul, and mind?
How strong are your convictions? Does your life give evidence? Do others, even unbelievers, know without a doubt that you truly believe what you profess?

I've heard it asked by preachers in our day,
"If you (and I) were accused of being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict us?"

Consider the following historical account:

David Hume, a well known Scottish philosopher and historian in the 18th Century, who was also a Deist, didn't believe in any inspiration or revelation or the Son of God or in the Bible, but reportedly thought it worthwhile to travel 20 miles to hear Whitefield preach. About five o'clock one morning, he was going down the street in London. He came around the corner and went straight into the hands of another man who said,
"Why aren't you David Hume?"
"Yes.''
"Where are you going at this early hour ?"
"I'm going to hear George Whitefield preach," replied Hume.
"You don't believe a word Whitefield preaches," said the man.
"No," Hume answered, "but he does!"

Even the Deists knew when a man was not just "talking theology".

6 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 16, 2015

    I've heard this quote a number of times, but have never seen it ascribed to a source document. I'm also somewhat confused because I've heard the quote cited as "I don't, but he does and I can't stay away." Finally, I've see the same quote used with respect to Hume attending a John Wesley meeting. Can anyone enlighten me on this? It's a wonderful quote but I'd love to know that it is also authentic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haykin, ed., Revived Puritan, pp. 35–37.

      Delete
    2. Haykin, ed., Revived Puritan, pp. 35–37.

      Delete
  2. J.R.W. Stott, Between Two Worlds, p. 270

    David Hume, 18th century British philosopher who rejected historic Christianity, once met a friend hurrying along a London street and asked where he was going. The friend said he was off to hear George Whitfield preach. “But surely you don’t believe what Whitfield preaches do you?” “No, I don’t, but he does.”

    J.R.W. Stott, Between Two Worlds, p. 270

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 20, 2022

    Love it Don. I attended Bible college and Iowa State U 1969-73. As a communication major I took a beginner’s creative writing class my junior year. I wrote a Christian-based story involving a person who died without faith in Christ. In the somewhat elderly English prof’s one-on-one office review she said that I didn’t have enough experience yet to write well about death.
    I asked her if she thought about her own death. She, a smoker, said, “I try not to think about it.” I did not make this up! God Help us speak up and let His glory shine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 20, 2022

    Anonymous is Jim Rbach

    ReplyDelete